Monday, February 19, 2007

Cover bands don’t change the world

I stole that. From the Accidental Creative. I think that might actually be ironic instead of just coincidental, but coming from the Alanis Morrissette generation, I've always been confused. I downloaded a podcast of his some time ago and finally got around to listening to it on Sunday. His tag line – that cover bands don’t change the world – reminded me of Douglas Coupland's Microserfs striving to, one day, be 1.0. I hope I’m remembering that right since it’s been years since I read that book.

Incidentally, right now I’m reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. It’s keeping me up at night…I can’t seem to put it down. Very well written.

But what I bothered to stay up for last night, again foolishly, was Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. It used to be good. Now it’s dry. I keep waiting for something compelling to happen. It hasn't for the last two episodes. What I liked about it originally was the same thing I liked about the West Wing (aside from the subject matter) , that being the dialogue. Again, very well written. But not so much anymore it seems. I guess the comparison isn’t surprising because it comes from the creator of the West Wing trying to hit it big for a second time. With the same stuff. Which maybe isn’t a terrible idea, but you can’t forget that cover bands just don’t change the world.

No comments: