Thursday, March 16, 2006

How about cutting off the head to spite (despite of) the nation

As usual, I've been catching up on American politics with Anderson Cooper. There have been some CNN stories of late on how Bush needs to "change up the team", to "bring on some fresh blood", etc. Here's the online article.

All this talk reminds me of when I was a big follower of baseball. How, when things were going bad for the team, the owner would often fire the manager. At the time I remember thinking this was stupid, because if the team isn't winning it's because the players are playing bad, not the manager. Aha, that was naive little me. Now I know what good leadership can bring to the table--now I know that it can make the table that brings everyone together in the first place.

So when the Bush administration makes a few mis-cues (if you're a Republican) or permanent fatal errors (if you're a Democrat computer nerd), I think we also need to ask ourselves: "Maybe it's not the team, maybe it's the leader?". I know, I know, that's not how things work in American politics because when you want 'em, you get 'em for four years. And then there's that nasty bit about how the cabinet is unelected (insert shining moment for Canadian politics here--they don't come that often lately).

But now let's ask the real question. Say Bush fires his entire cabinet and all his advisors and hires a brand spanking new set of Republican guard (oops, did I use that term?). Okay, now things are still bad. What does that say about Bush's leadership?

On the other hand, say it turns out that the new guard manages to get the boat afloat again. What does that say about Bush's leadership?

Who runs the country while Dick Cheney is out hunting anyway?

No comments: