Thursday, March 09, 2006

Lise-bert in Cubby-land

I have spent far too much of the last 7 (almost 8) years of my life in a cubicle. I believe they are evil. Which is why I clicked on this CNN article immediately after reading the headline.

I guess it's great that someone thought it would be better than totally open (and ergonomic, but where did that idea go?), I mean it is nice to have a modicum of privacy and some place to pin up my dog's picture. But the bland coloured fabric walls (often quite dirty looking) do not inspire me by any means. And they don't come close to muffling your conversations. Which means that anything you might legitimately want to keep private you are forced to whisper like a teenager when the only phone that mom and dad let you talk on is in the kitchen. And worse yet, they force you to curb your habits of inspiration to the lowest common denominator. Everyone needs to be sooo quiet. What I wouldn't do to be able to close the door once in awhile and listen to some INXS or Bebel Gilberto to get back on track with my work day.

*Argh* this must be what Les Nessman felt like.

And what's even worse it that the damn things breed until there's no more room for a lunchroom, no meeting rooms at all, which means that when you do meet you either have to keep a super quiet conversation going in your office to get to the point, or, if you're lucky enough to both be of the same gender, or let's be realistic, both be women, you can combine a pee break with a crucial step in the decision making process.

Say, how would you feel about the new vendor....and do you have any toilet paper over there?

No comments: