Thursday, February 24, 2005

But who can blame politicians when we let Coke get away with it?

Remember before last November, when I gave up Coke, how strung out and twitchy I was when I didn't have my daily dose? I could've mainlined the stuff and it still wouldn't have been enough. Which is not to say I still don't have problems with an addiction to sugar (specifically anything chocolate and cinnamon hearts), because I most certainly do, as I sit here munching on those same cinnamon hearts.

But I digress. So I went up to the food court at lunch and got some General Tso's Chicken from that nice lady in one of the Chinese food places up there with a Canada Dry to go with it. Yes, I have sworn off most carbonated beverages, but I still allow myself Canada Dry in the faint hope that it is somehow less bad for me than Coke. Then, I wonder, perhaps my faint hope is misguided. Which is worse, Coke or Canada Dry? And none of that stupid "diet" stuff, eh? Don't even get me started on aspartame.

So I googled it. Canada Dry has 120 calories and 33 grams of sugar in a can. As for Coke, well, you have to do a bit more searching on their website to find this information, as you scroll past the crap about how Coke can be a part of your healthy, balanced diet. And maybe this last part is true, at least before the stage when you find yourself addicted and popping open your first can of the day at 8:30 a.m. But the final verdict is....Coke has 97 calories and 27 grams of sugar? How can Canada Dry be worse in these two categories?

Then you read the fine print.

Coke is 97 calories and 27 grams of sugar per 8 oz (236.588237 mL). And a can is 12 oz (354.882356 mL). And Coke doesn't sell 8 oz cans. Their cans are 12 oz, which means they have, according to my simple calculations 145.5 calories and 40.5 grams of sugar per can. So what else are they trying to hide that isn't so obvious to uncover?

Maybe, just maybe, Coke is not part of a healthy, balanced diet after all. 'Cause it's hard to jog around the block with a can in your hand.

And maybe, I'm not that stupid anymore.

But I would love a can of Coke right now.

Coke's website
Canada Dry's website

No comments: