Tuesday, February 08, 2005

February Blah Song....August Day Song

Last summer I went downtown to the Carlu with Nancy to see a concert by Bebel Gilberto. Yep, that's how you spell her name, but I'm still not sure if I'm saying it properly. beBel, Baybel, hard G on the last name? And did I mention she sings mostly in Portugese, a language I don't know a word of? Well, that's a lie because I do know a few words, but not enough to find the ladies room at the train station in Lisbon, if you know what I mean. Fortunately, Nancy would be able to help me out there. But I digress...

I'm thinking of that concert because it's February. If you know the music, that says enough. "Just like this rainstorm, this August Day Song, I dream of places far beyond...". One of the few English lyrics. And one of my faves. But then, there's also Jabitucaba (a tree?) and Aganju (nope, no idea what that means). But it all has that the same feeling. Although she seemed a little diva-ish on stage (and did I mention I was leaning up against said stage), I was taken to places far beyond. It didn't tarnish the romance of a far away, sunny place with warm people and the music of an everyday life swaying to the background of my own.

No comments: