Friday, March 04, 2005

If I were GG...

Dear Canada:

Adrienne Clarkson’s time at Rideau Hall will draw to a close at some point, and I write this letter asking you to consider me as a candidate for her successor. If you were to appoint me as Governor General of this rockin' nation, I promise to do you proud.

No more circumpolar trips. Honestly, it’s not that I think they weren’t worth the money, but no one has money to travel like that so I plan to live more frugally. I’ll visit you in your hometown, and I’m happy to fly economy or drive myself. And no more fancy-schmancy hors d'oeuvres and ritzy dinners either. I think the best way to “encourage national identity, national unity, and moral leadership” is to chow down on some nicely barbecued Alberta steak in the backyard with soldiers returning from Afghanistan (and it’s a big yard, so bring your families too). I think the best way to “promote Canadian sovereignty” is to invite disenfranchised youth to come on over for a big bash featuring K-os and Sam Roberts and Terri Clarke and let them discover a reason to tune into the Canadian arts over the flash of the States, but at the same time I would let them draw their own conclusions about how to make it real for their generation.

I would “celebrate excellence” through the Order of Canada and the GG’s Literary Arts Awards, but I would also ask all the nurses and personal support workers in Canada to nominate one or two amongst themselves each year for special recognition for the hard, backbreaking and emotionally difficult work they do every day. I would “represent the crown in Canada” as head of state by espousing those things that are most honourable about our current form of government in Canada. What I mean to say is that, provided you do not use profanity, you may ask any question you like in my presence. There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. And if the answer is stupid, well then I promise to do what I can to effect change so that things will make more sense.

There are other things that I would like to accomplish, such as lowering the voting age, making the senate more accountable, and even, perhaps, making the position of GG an elected one. But alas, these are legislative changes and would be outside my purview as GG. However, I firmly believe that political office is not the only way, perhaps not even the best way, to encourage and influence our country and the world. As GG, I would promote all those responsibilities of the role, as I highlighted above, with a view to increasing citizen participation in our society though the day to day activities we all undertake to make our lives better. I would do my best to shed light on those in the corners of the ring, fighting hard for their beliefs, whatever they may be. Most importantly, my fellow Canadians, I will meet you where you are, both literally and figuratively, and do my best to champion what you define as Canada. I will help you celebrate Canada. I am one of you. I am yours.

I have a lot more ideas, so if you have any questions, just drop me an e-mail. And none of this "Honourable" stuff, just call me Lise.

Thank you in advance for consideration of my application.

A plus tard,
Lise

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK LISE, I do belive you would make a wonderful Governor General!!!! You have my support :+))