Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Publication Ban

The news is that some Minnesota blogger has blown the lid on the publication ban set up by the Gomery Inquiry. But he's American so apparently that's okay. And which side of the 49th parallel you're on matters a whole lot on the internet....right *eyes rolling*. I remember when American TV stations were reporting on details of the Bernardo/Homolka trial and we ended up with blank nothingness on our TV screens here in the GTA. Doesn't work so well ten years on, does it? Ten years ago it wasn't feasible to think that I would own and operate a TV station to be able to disseminate such information, and there was this tacit agreement in our society that in order to have such power you would use it responsibly, whether through ethical standards you had been taught in journalism school (whatever!) or because you were concerned about the impact of such a move on your profits (more likely).

But now here I am with only my morals to guide me. Should I write about the Gomery Inquiry or not? Okay, truth be told, I don't know anything that hasn't already been reported on CBC News (all of which is legal), but I could probably find out. But I just don't care. Quite frankly, I'm just not getting why so many Quebecers, before it went "in camera", were taping the inquiry and watching it after work. Huh? Of course, maybe the secret is that juicy. But still, I have other things to care about now.

What I do feel uncomfortable with is the idea that I could be jailed for typing something here. But then again I already censor myself by not writing about my working life here. And I try my best only to invade my own privacy and no one elses. So I guess minding my own beeswax about adscam, at least for the time being, is just a continuation of that.

But I don't want to be too reverential of the Canadian government, the PM, the Liberal Party. Somethin' tells me they really do deserve what might be coming to them.

Then again, if the only option remains the band of wannabe opposition leaders..... *Sigh*.

No comments: