Sunday, June 19, 2005

525,600 minutes

So you know how I love the story of the underdog, the survivor. And it can't get much better than Broadway. Of course, in a sense all Broadway musicals are about such things, but I think Rent is something more. Even simply for the fact that it's creator, Jonathan Larson, died tragically hours before his baby opened. To rave reviews no less. Real life is so much more meaty, more heartfelt, more meaningful and educational than fiction, and ironically, Rent, though ostensibly a work of fiction, proves that very thing. What matters? Love, friendship, the family you make, the family you work to keep. I'm getting farklempt just thinking about it! Talk amongst yourselves....

The first time I saw Rent was when Liz dragged me to it in Toronto, I think probably in 1999? She's a big fan. I went and I loved it. Then, by some cosmic intent, we (yes I was with Liz again) ended up sitting in the front row at the Nederlander Theatre in New York City in October 2004. Yep, I believe it was meant to be. There's something even more wonderful about seeing it on Broadway, in the environs it was really meant to be seen. I was quite misty eyed when Frenchie belted it out at the end.

Now, there's a movie coming out, and I know where I'll be on November 11. If you're already a fan, check out the blog from the people involved. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, click here to get to the trailer. Santa Fe is and always will be my favourite song, especially now that I'll get to see and hear Jesse Martin sing it...I guess on screen is better than nothing.


But the key to it all is the idea that you can't 'rent' your life, you have to own it.

See ya at the movies Liz!

No comments: