Saturday, November 05, 2005

Cool/Photograph

Two song titles today...

Went to a meeting in Caledon on Friday for work and ran into people I used to work with. Felt kinda like old times...the good and fun parts at least. The best parts. Got caught up on all the happenings. Driving home through beautiful King I feel like perspective may have finally found me. I actually started to think about the things I learned, the things I came away with, and not just about the pain in the ass moments.

Driving through Caledon and King City and Whitchurch-Stouffville I missed having my camera because there is just so much to see: falling leaves/leaves in fall, farms, old houses and places for which time seems to have had minimal impact. Can't imagine that will last much longer. It took me 25 minutes to get out of the populated part of Caledon. The edges are moving farther and farther away. Hell, I used to live on the edges. That was a long time ago.

The high point of Friday's meeting for me was a talk from a European Union Observer on his experiences of the recent Palestinian election. Definitely a real view of the situation. Democracy is imperfect, and that's what makes it so beautiful, in my opinion. However, sometimes it's a little more imperfect than we'd like. Still, I suppose there are worse conditions under which to hold an election that military checkpoints and suicide bombers. Say abject apathy for example. My favourite quote, which speaks all to well to bureaucracy: "At least we can all agree on mediocrity". On the other hand, it was a bit like the Stephen Lewis thing too. This guy passionately believes in "the universal rights of the elector" and put his money where his mouth is, spending time away from his family during the holidays. Inspiring--not necessarily the part about being away for the holidays, but having a sense of the greater good that is left to be done in this crazy world.

Tomorrow will not be too guilty. I painted my first wall today. It was a pain in the ass (*grrr* I hate crown molding) and not great when it dried (needed a second coat), but at least I gave it a try!

No comments: