Sunday, November 27, 2005

Record and play, after years of endless rewind...

Okay, it's not a song title, just a lyric, and it really doesn't have much to do with this post. I've just always liked it, kind of a get on with it, moving forward, taking charge thing. It's cool.

And speaking of the Barenaked Ladies, saw them at Massey Hall on Friday night for one of there Christmukkah-type concerts, which was definitely on my as yet nonexistent list of things that I must do at least once in my life. They were fabulous, as usual. There was one point where I realized that Brian Wilson came out when I was in high school...and that was a long time ago now. But on the upside, I was not caught in a time warp with a bunch of teeny-boppers while at the concert, so it really didn't feel so bad. I'm definitely not their oldest fan, or their youngest, and I think that says a lot about what great entertainers they are. Not to knock the music, but there's very few musicians who can carry off a decent show. Classic example was that televised "Intimate and Interactive" thing of Feist. Wow that was just profoundly bad. And I love her CD "Let it Die".

Another classic example of poor stage presence...maybe that's what it was...was the night's opening act, Buck 65. It wasn't so much bad as completely incomprehensible. And I don't think it was the sound guys' fault. He seems to be some sort of cowboy hiphop rapper that travels with another guy who does interpretive dance and juggles knives behind him while he blathers on and works the turntable. I will say that the chorus portion of "463" was mildly interesting, but only that, and not really entertaining. And yet BNL kept thanking him during their set. I just don't get it.

And yet, here's an odd twist: I like the Barenaked Ladies, the Ladies like Buck 65, and you would think here that Buck 65 would like music that I can't comprehend either, but the list on his website is actually pretty decent, and I can honestly say, he's got good taste. So maybe the only one's with bad taste are BNL? How can this be? This must be why I dropped the section on epistemology in first year philosophy. Bite me Rene Descartes!

Anyway, so I find myself thinking back to the Brian Wilson days, wearing the boots I wore in university because I can't find my new snazzy ones...I can record and play, and handle the rewind as well. It's okay once in awhile.

No comments: