Saturday, January 14, 2006

Do they really believe this bullshit?

I think the answer is no, but the problem is that you might.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Toronto Star is aiding and abetting the Liberal Party. And if you've read any of my previous posts, you know I'm saying this as a person with a mightily overdeveloped left wing. What I'm saying is that it would be easier for me to support my arguments if I argued that the Star wasn't biased.

But I'm beginning to think that's just bullshit.

Today's headline is "Tory Win = Swift Change". When the article continues on page 4, the headline is "Tory plan 'incompetent:' Martin". What made them choose to put one on the front page, and one on page 4? I think if I wanted to sway soft Tory voters I'd do what they did; it's like saying "Attention People: Things will change big time and you know how you hate change". But will things really change? I mean history hasn't really indicated that this is the case. If the Liberals promised to ditch the GST, and they didn't, will the Conservatives really lower the GST after they're elected? And I'm not even really sure that I care that much at this point.

So the truth is that I don't really want a Conservative government. Not, as the Liberals warn, because I actually think that, if given a majority, they will proceed to ban abortion, illegalize same-sex marriage and the like, but because I wouldn't want to live in a place where the people in charge simply pondered such things.

When I was at Disney, there was a guy in the training who, when I said I was Canadian, seethed a bit and asked if I knew a lot of people who smoked pot. On another occasion when I was in the sunny state, two women announced to me that they were lesbians upon discovering I was Canadian, as if it meant that it was okay to talk about such things in the presence of a Canadian. Maybe they assumed I wouldn't be judgmental. And that's cool, I'm not. But fortunately for them it wasn't a Tory backbencher at that bus stop with them.

I guess my point is that I kinda like the reputation. And I wouldn't like a different reputation. And it's all about the reputation because I really have no idea how to get my hands on some marijuana even if I wanted to. But I guess now the right-wingers of this fine land want a little time to enjoy the kind of rep they prefer.

But the problem is that their kinda rep doesn't piss off Americans as much as I personally find enjoyable.

But I guess that's all just bullshit anyway. 'Cause no matter what happens, I will not be waking up on the 24th of January worried about Armageddon.

No comments: