Monday, January 17, 2005

Aunt Betty and Peter Gzowski: A Case for Public Broadcasting in Canada

Originally Posted on: Wed, Dec 22 2004 2:39 PM
I love the CBC, though I confess, when compared to other CBC-o-philes, I am a relative newcomer. Back in 1994 I moved to Winnipeg to study at the University of Manitoba. Most of my family lives in Winnipeg, including, at that time, a cousin named Janet and my favourite aunt, the incomparable Aunt Betty. Aunt Betty is the best because she is a sweetheart and a true lady. Back when I lived on a budget of $60.00 a month when a bus pass cost $48.00 she would take me to lovely places for lunch twice a year and ask me about the things that I cared about. Bottom line, she's the best. She told me about the show her daughter, Janet, hosted on CBC Radio Manitoba called "Arts Encounters" and I began to listen faithfully every time it was on. Someone I knew was on the radio!

One day, with my radio still set to CBC, my alarm went off to signal the beginning of another school day. I switched the alarm to the radio setting and decided to stay in bed a bit longer. Needless to say, I was lazy -- I mean I was a student and obviously didn't know how good I had it sleeping in past 9:00 a.m. on a weekday. But back to the radio. It was on, I was only half awake, but quickly captivated by the best interviewer I have ever heard in my life, our dearly departed Peter Gzowski (the blog post "Mom and Peter Gzowski: A Case against the Devil Weed" will come sometime in the new year). It's a beautiful thing to hear Peter Gzowski interview someone, whether they be the Prime Minister, or Agnes, the potato farmer from PEI. You find yourself caring. It's such a simple thing, but it's big. Ask yourself, when Lisa LaFlamme asks the Prime Minister a question, do you really care? How do you think she would fare with Agnes? [Side note: Lisa LaFlamme? Shouldn't she be in a different line of work with a name like that?]

So my love affair with CBC Radio began. And I'm convinced it has raised my IQ. Since I began listening, and watching, I've gone from Robbie Alomar, Blue Jays junkie to informed citizen, able to discuss the implications of a falling (and rising) dollar, the impact of Ukrainian politics from a global perspective and be able to say "I heard this story once about a woman who knitted a tea cozy for a house" and not be lying. For my father's benefit, I will add that the knowledge of all but that last bit was also expanded by that expensive degree he paid for, but let's be real. I had some great Profs but none compare to Peter Gzowski.

Now on to television. I know what you're going to say, but the failure of Canadian television to master the situation comedy format is not the fault of CBC. And actually, who the f$*% cares about that? The sitcom is a vehicle for the distribution of American culture and values. Yes, I know Corner Gas is good, but it's a freaky miracle that Canadians will watch the happenings of Dog River when many of them seem to think I went to the University of Manitoba, located in Saskatoon. Which brings me back to my point....

Who are we? What about us? It's really too complicated a question to answer, but you can start by watching CBC. We debated who among us is the greatest on CBC. David Suzuki's "Nature of Things" and Pierre Berton rolling a joint on Rick Mercer's Monday Report are both on CBC. So is Rex Murphy (and Radio too). Very disparate points of view, very disparate methods of delivering that point of view. How about "This Hour Has 22 Minutes"? What about "The Fifth Estate"-- I mean Steven Turcott would still be rotting in jail if it wasn't for Linden Macintyre! CTV would probably be doing another story about bad drivers. NBC's Dateline would probably be doing another story about O.J. Simpson.

Okay so I could write a book on this, so I'll move on....

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation is governed by the Broadcasting Act and the Federal Department of Canadian Heritage. It's yours. You've already paid for it, you dimwit! Why not give it a try? So when ABC and CTV and Much Music are showing infomercials and reruns of the Newlyweds, tune in to YOUR CBC. Turn off the rampant commercialization. And yes, CBC has commercials, but it's because of people like you who don't get off their asses and give it a try. If you cared more, CBC would be better funded and carry more local news and such and they wouldn't need to run stupid commercials. [By the way, be sure to also check out commercial free CBC Radio this holiday season].

So let's recap: Aunt Betty, Peter Gzowksi, makes you smarter, frees the innocent and once again, YOU ALREADY PAID FOR IT.

No comments: