Thursday, January 20, 2005

Mad Cows and Mad Voters: Sanity's in the System, Just Not Us Sometimes

Today, Dubya is inaugurated for the second time around. *Sigh*

To my American friends, I ask why on earth did you invite him back? Although, I could just as well ask why Albertans keep electing Ralph Klein, or how on earth Mel Lastman was able to serve two elected terms in office for the City of Toronto.

Much as I like to criticize those in other countries (and Provinces and Cities...) for how they choose to cast their vote (in addition to the US, I can often count Israel on my personal list), I don’t live there, I’m not a citizen there, and I don’t vote there. And that’s fair. That’s how the game works. I don’t expect Americans (or Israelis) to criticize me for voting the way I do here in Canuck-a-doodle land. In fact, I would find it offensive.

Then again, I’ve never had the opportunity to vote for a leader of the “free” world.

But anyway, I could point out here that Dubya won by the slimmest of margins last year and only questionably “won” (note the quotes) in 2000. Mel Lastman won in 2000 with 79.9 per cent of the vote.

What’s that I hear you say? Lastman didn’t have a viable opponent that was worthy of the office? And who’s fault do you think that is? I mean, at least Enza the Supermodel gave it a shot. And really how much crazier is a cross-dressing wannabe than a furniture salesman with foot and mouth disease? ;)

And speaking of livestock diseases, hopefully, Ralph Klein has sent Dubya some Alberta beef in honour of his inaugural. In fact, between the third way of health care from Klein and Dubya’s plan for the partial privatization of social security, cows are probably the only thing they aren’t seeing eye to eye on these days.

To my American friends, yes, I know you didn’t all vote for Dubya. For those of you who did, I admit, I do think you’re wrong, but I respect your right to the choice. For those of you who went for Kerry, thanks on behalf of the non-American world for trying. Maybe next time you’ll find a candidate who can make it all the way. I’ll cross my fingers for you.

In the meantime, bon appetit to Dubya.

No comments: