Monday, August 29, 2005

Blah blah blah...whatever

Forced to flick the dial elsewhere during this insane CBC lockout, I was listening to some garbage on CRFB 1010 this afternoon. Well, not all garbage, because that far removed from news, anything sounds good. But when they start devoting time to call-ins, even when it's CBC, I change the channel.


Anyway, so the guy was rambling about the over the top coverage CNN is devoting to Hurricane Katrina: the city of New Orleans might have to move! It's North America's Tsunami! Hehe, insert stupid and sad "Katrina and the Waves" joke here. See I was thinking, too bad if they have to move because I was hoping to go there someday. But as Alex points out, this just may mean the trip will be cheaper. Assuming I can find the right point on the matrix between 'mess cleaned-up' and 'deep discount'. I have this funny feeling that if Katrina hit Cuba, if that was possible at all, it would most certainly not be called "North America's Tsunami". Even though this guy was slamming CNN (and rightfully so), he himself was a little too much into the anti-CNN hyperbole for me to continue listening. And besides, I had to change it when they started with the call-ins. I don't care what Joe from Mississauga's take on this is.


And yet, although I do not like radio that is so into feedback in that call-in sort of way, I am LOVING Dave Eggers' "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius". If you're not into self-conscious semi-autobiographical fiction that is such a mess it's totally beautiful...if you're not willing to go along for a 400 page ride on this one, don't bother. It's tragic, so tragic you think it can't possibly be true, but apparently it is. Or it might be. And I have to say there are parts that I identify with in a rather uncomfortable way. Like nothing I've ever read before. Wish I'd written it. Wish I could write like that. It actually starts with instructions on how to read the book and urges you to skip a large portion of the book. Maybe it's just me, you know how I love self-deprecating humour.


So, I need Andy Barrie back. Real bad. Please?

No comments: