Thursday, September 01, 2005

Gracious Southern Hostess, I will come...

So I may have been too flippant about New Orleans. Honestly though, the fact that CNN did get it right this one time does not help their overall credibility when it comes to hyping up news stories. Remember this is the station that brought you all OJ, all the time.

It's sad, not only because I would love to go to New Orleans and now I know that this plan will be a) put on hold for some time and b) seriously affected since I don't know what state all their historical buildings and sites are in. No, it's also sad because we sorta all knew it was coming and yet there are still people stuck in that superdome, waiting to be moved to the Astrodome now. It really speaks to proper emergency planning. One of Disney's strengths is the idea to plan for every eventuality. Okay, not possible all the time, but you have to wonder when that many people are stranded, without food, water, showers... They are in an area prone to hurricanes. We did know something was coming. Maybe they didn't want to believe CNN either? I went to the New Orleans website and it looks like it's being updated remotely and piecemeal by someone who does not normally do the website. No meetings until October at least. Interesting.

Here's a sample of what the City Official is posting to the website:

"Longtime CVB Vice President Nikki Nicholson, who retired 18 months ago to buy a bed and breakfast in Bay St. Louis Mississippi has barely survived. Nikki attempted to stay and ride out the storm in her b&b, but the storm destroyed her home around her and she and her dog survived clinging to a tree until rescued."

Now doesn't the fact that her dog is mentioned make you like her? I wonder what her dog's name is?

Anyway, I'm sorry if I was insensitive, not to CNN but to people from New Orleans. And all that I can give you in return is the promise that one day I will spend some tourist dollars in your fine city. One day.

No comments: