Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Get over it...it's just a pair of shoes already!

Okay, I'm trying this from the Mac in the lobby tonight, so we'll see. Just got back from a night out at the Gershwin Theatre and Wicked, which was, perhaps unsurprisingly, wicked. I was surprised by just how much I loved it. I mean, I knew what it was going to be about going in, and although I don't remember a lot of the details of the Wizard of Oz, I remember enough to know how the show was going to end. It was surprisingly funny and moving. The singing was spectacular and the effects were great. It's amazing how they were able to bring that sense of the lack of clarity between right/wrong and good/bad into musical theatre. Not that my experience is vast in this department, but I haven't really seen that before.

Some of my favourite (slightly paraphrased) quotes...

From Glinda (formerly Ga-linda) to Elphaba after Elphaba's sister has been killed by a falling house in a storm:
"Accident, regime change.....whatever" and, with regard to Elphaba's obsession with getting back the ruby slippers (actually silver):
"Get over it...it's just a pair of shoes already"

And from Nessa to her sister Elphaba after the wizard has labelled Elphaba wicked:
"I can't harbour a fuguitive, I'm an elected official!"

I don't think I'm giving it away to say that in the end both Glinda and Elphaba agreed that knowing each other has made each "better, for good". Great singing and acting by both actresses, one of which sounded so familiar she may have been in Rent last time around here. The woman who played Glinda has an excellent comedy sense. And of course, Rue McClanahan and Ben Vereen were terrific. The theatre was impressive too. We were closer to the ceiling than the stage, but it was clean and up to date, and looked much better put together than the Nederlander last year, but then again, that worked for Rent.

But for $105 CAD a ticket, I was kind of disappointed by the idiots next to us who arrived late, and the one woman further down who left and then had the gall to come back during the show, not waiting for the intermission. Be like the rest of us, pee ahead of time and plan appropriately to not be late. Pox on the three of you.

After the show we ate at Applebee's on the north end of Times Square and then took the subway back, which brings me to the part of the story where I start typing on this computer to post to my blog.

Me tired....tomorrow is Chinatown. Maybe I'll by a "Kate Spud" purse. Maybe some shoes....

No comments: